Twitter


Follow jayteewo on Twitter

Facebook.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Warmth.

When I think of the word 'warmth' I think of safety. All people want is to feel safe and at ease. I strive to create a comfy, cozy, happy home. That is not as easy to do as you might think. I think it's a challenge for and a talent of those who achieve it. You don't know if you possess the talent unless you have children and they tell you so- offspring sets it into place. My mom has that talent and more of it than one person usually does. Upon stepping into her home, you feel a warmth and calm come over you. I also attribute this to her aura which is a nurturing, maternal aura that just about everyone who meets her responds positively to; that is something you are born with and can't buy or imitate.

Butterscotch napkins/autumnal dishtowels from Crate & Barrel
Apricot Vanilla jam from Sunchowder's Emporia

My home (apartment) is as cozy as I can possibly make it. In fact, my little sister told me this weekend it is "cozy," one of the best compliments to receive. I have however used cool tones for my decor palette in the past and found that I do not feel comfortable with those colors around me. Somewhere I do feel consistently comfortable is my mom's house so I got to thinking, what does she do differently? Her walls are yellow her couch a mauve floral, the woods are warm and rich and she is there. Warmth that does not come from your aura (like my mom) has much to do with color.

From now on, I vow to bring only warm tones into my home. I will paint with golds and burgundy, terracotta, yellows, and coffee. I will eat citrus, peaches, and butternut squash. It doesn't take much in most cases.. a throw pillow here, a bowl of fruit there, a quilt from Mommy here.. It’s like a nest. Didn’t you feel great in the womb? I’ll answer that for you: yes, you did feel great cuz it was warm and pink in there- no vexing cool tones in sight. It's beginning to sound like I have a mommy complex but it’s true! I'm sure there are all sorts of theories on this but I don't care enough to research them. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm ready for Fall, baby! Bring in only warmth. ONLY. 

from Thank You Notes book by Jimmy Fallon p. 26


have a nice hot day!,
jayteewo.

No comments:

Post a Comment