Here's the deal, it needs to be baked or cooked quickly because it is very porous and vulnerable to mooshiness due to it's moisture content. But it is very delish, you guys! Trust me. Here's a little snack that my dad has been making for years. It's very simple, as all of the recipes I post are. All it is is breaded eggplant that you bake and eat later with marinara. My dad also makes a tasty composed eggplant parmesan, but I'll leave it to him to blog about that (on his blog that he doesn't have).
What you need:
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Egg
- Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/8 Cup of Milk (I use soy)
- Cooking Spray
1. Slice your eggplant into discs about 1/3 inch thick.
2. Set up a station (as seen above): one plate with the eggwash (egg + milk).
3. Dredge each slice of eggplant in eggwash and then cover both sides in breadcrumbs.
4. Place on a cookie sheet that's been doused with cooking spray.
5. Repeat until all eggplant discs have been through the process.
6. Sprinkle with salt.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes each side.
8. Dip in a ramekin of marinara and gobble 'em up.
Might not look perty but it shore tastes good. Plus, it's a much healthier snack than a lot of other things (I can't tell you what those things are.. it's embarrassing).